Two Tweens Out Of Orbit!!
Tweens are defined as the group of kids between the ages of 9-12. Basically, they’re the “The Twilight Zone Children.” They are neither here nor there. In fact, they are clear out of their orbit! In astronomy terms the wranglers are called “orbit hoppers.”
At this stage these kids can be as sweet as honey or as mean as a pissed off gorilla. When they are out of their orbits, the whole house vibrates and the dogs head for the back door. I know this for sure, I have one of each, 10 years old going on 19! Dreaming up punishment for these orbit hoppers is a task for parents.
- They don’t have cell phones, so you can’t disconnect them from their friends.
- Cars, too young to drive.
- Time-outs? Nope, they are too big for the time out chair.
- I definitely can’t take away outdoor activities, it’s the only thing that wears them out, and besides, it’s quiet time for me.
- How about take away their allowance? Hey, these kids don’t DO anything to EARN an allowance.
- No computers? No, wiring them up to their laptops keeps them quiet and out of my hair.
In order to get their attention, I HAVE to think like a tween, longshot!
- I know, make them share a room for a weekend.
- Or I could make Little Dude go to the Macy’s BIG SALE, and carry all my shopping bags.
- Then I could take Dear Daughter either grocery shopping or to run errands with me and watch her wriggle through it, without her iPod.
Whenever I have to lay down the law, it usually ends up in a fiery explosion.
|Pissed off kids!|
I hear that things only become more complicated as we approach the teen years, I’m told to enjoy these simple times. By the time my kids are teens, I’ll have to get me one of those fancy scooters I’ve seen on TV, so I can keep up with their antics.
|Park your car kid, you’re taking the scooter to school this week.|